UltraEdit Companion User's Guide: Change Log
Previous | Contents
Appendix A: Change log & Release Notes
A.43 18.104.22.16832 August 29, 2012
- The license has been changed from The 'Rhapdog' Free Software License to The 'Rhapdog' Open Source Software License.
This change in the license is retroactive to all versions of the
product. There is no version change, just a license change.
A.43 22.214.171.12432 August 8, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
- Made the Theme Panel display of
the names of themes behave better when switching directories or
updating the file list. Using the refresh button will now indicate any
added or deleted files in that directory if you used explorer to move
theme files while running the program.
- Fixed progress indicator to prevent it from staying displayed after finished in certain rare circumstances.
an issue that caused the Language File Listing to be refreshed and
reloaded for each and every theme file loaded in the Theme Listing.
This was causing major slowdowns on loading theme lists and wordfiles.
- Fixed an issue when importing Visual Studio 2010 themes causing the lock on the .vssettings file to not release.
- Usability Enhancements:
- Update various icon graphics in the program to improve the display/readability of those graphics.
much of the programs code for optimization and speed. Most
noticeable will be the speed in which large quantities of Visual Studio
2010 theme files are converted, which is less than one-third the time
it took before.
- Changed "Theme Files" listing to show names of Themes instead of list of file names, and renamed it "Theme Listing".
Refresh button to Theme Listing, in case the user has moved/copied
themes to/from the current Theme Listing path using Windows Explorer
and the list needs updating.
- Added a "Filter" for the Theme
Listing to show All, Standard, and Dark themes. All themes will
list all themes found in a path. Standard will list any themes
not defines as a dark theme. Dark will list only themes defined
as a dark theme. A Dark theme is defined by a Maximum Brightness
level set as a percent of brightness on the Configuration tab.
- Added a panel at the bottom of the Theme Listing to show the total number of Themes shown in the list.
color boxes on the Syntax Coloring and Color Scheme tabs will now
indicate they can be clicked by a border change when you hover over
- Color boxes are now tab stops, and will indicate they are
currently selected by a change in the border around the box.
Pressing the "local menu" button on your keyboard will perform the same
function as right clicking the selected color box, and provide a menu
in which to copy or alter the color.
- All functionality of the
program can now be accessed by keyboard and the mouse is no longer
required, though helpful. The only exception is the Custom Color
- Configuration options have been moved to a
single page, and no longer resides on 2 tabs. Options have been
rearranged to make better use of space and to group items together
better. New options include the setting of the Theme Panel Display
options and Theme Filter Configuration.
- The Word File Tools tab
has had a major makeover. Instead of having "Syntax Highlighting
Tools" and "Multi-Language Wordfiles" there are now 3 tabs, which are
now at the top of the section instead of the middle. 1. Basic
Tools, 2. Multi-Language Wordfiles, and 3. Language Definition.
Tools replaces the former "Syntax Highlighting Tools", and brings in
the viewing/changing of the UE/UES Wordfile Directory into it's
- A completely new feature under Basic Tools is
the ability to Sort a langauge's words within each word color group in
the wordfile, wrapping it at a specified column number. This will sort
the wordfile according to the way Mofi's Syntax Tools Macro,
SortLanguage, sorts a wordfile. It will take into consideration
whether or not a langauge is case sensitive with the sort. You
can also sort "All Wordfiles" at one time very quickly.
- Test for Duplicate Words and Test for Invalid Words, which should round out the tools needed for word file creators.
Definition is new functionality. This tab reads the items in the
wordfile that make up the Language Definition. It does not
include Function String definitions or Delimiters, as those are
separate definitions. It allows you to more easily edit a particular
language definition, ruling out human error in typing the keywords that
are required. It is still up to the user to make sure non-keyword
strings provided are correct.
A.42 126.96.36.1994 May 23, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
- Fixed issue where Portable Version sometimes downloaded desktop installer.
issue where sometimes incorrect wordfile was accessed if there were
invalid wordfiles or non-wordfiles in the wordfile path.
- Fixed issue where if Alternate Wordfile path was selected, it would not be selected the next time the program started.
A.41 188.8.131.521 May 16, 2012
- Bug Fix:
- Fixed issue introduced in last version that caused file association issues when extension is not hidden.
A.40 184.108.40.2066 May 16, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
- Could not open theme files on some Windows computers if the .ueTheme file extension was hidden by the operating system.
- MRU file list being cleared on program restart when it should not be.
A.39 220.127.116.110 May 16, 2012
one or more, or all, Wordfiles in the Word/Language File Listing now
has the ability to open those Wordfiles in the selected product for
editing. It may be slow for opening a large number of wordfiles at once.
- Bug Fixes:
- Changing to a directory with no theme files caused a blank Default to load that registered as not saved.
- Only UEStudio 9.30 and above were supported. Fixed to support 9.10 and above.
known compatibility issues with UE Beta, including UE Beta 18.10's
incorrect App Path data in the registry. Corrects the invalid registry
entries entered by UE Beta 18.10.
A.38 18.104.22.1684 May 14, 2012
the color conversion process when importing from Visual Studio 2010
themes so that the themes are usable immediately after conversion. Less
tweaking of the themes will be required.
- Optimized the
code for importing from Visual Studio 2010 and for saving files when a
large number of files are in the current theme directory. It will now
import and save as fast when only one theme or 1000 themes are in the
- Optimized the code for startup to speed up
program start when a large number of theme files are in the starting
path. Still somewhat slow if a large number of files are in the path,
however about 2x as fast as it was before.
- Bug Fixes:
- Fixed an issue where the current path was not updated properly when changing paths unless a theme was selected.
- Fixed the issue that caused a "File not Found" error when refreshing the wordfile list.
A.37 22.214.171.1246 May 11, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
bug was introduced in 126.96.36.1991 which caused exporting colors to a
wordfile to insert a blank line at the top of the wordfile and move the
Langauge Definition Line down to the 5th line in the file.
A.36 188.8.131.521 May 10, 2012
- File associations are now removed from the system on uninstall when those associations were added during setup.
will now recognize when a UE product is not installed, and will disable
interaction with UE, but will still allow theme creation.
- Added a "Refresh" button for the Wordfile List, in case you move wordfiles in or out of the path while the program is operating.
the use of the Alt Wordfile Path to enable wordfile tool interaction
with wordfiles when a UE product is not installed on the host machine,
in case someone wants to do some wordfile work at home, then take it to
work where their copy of UE resides, etc.
- Bug Fixes:
- Fixed the Setup program for the Installed version to add the file associations during setup.
an issue where the version was not read from UltraEdit if the trailing
backslash was not included in the UltraEdit path stored in the Registry.
A.35 184.108.40.2068 May 3, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
UEP was selected and the USB Drive letter had changed since UEP was
last run, then the UEP.ini file shows the drive letter incorrectly
until you run UEP. UE Companion now compensates for this UEP
A.34 220.127.116.110 May 2, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
- Left a debug message box enabled when attempting to check for updates. Disabled it.
- Updating the program did not remove the temporary setup file from the temporary directory.
- Download Progress Bar added when updates are being downloaded.
A.33 18.104.22.1687 May 2, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
- Check for updates menu item in the Help menu was perpetually grayed out.
- Values were not being displayed next to the sliders for Hue, Saturation, and Luminosity.
- Word file list did not properly update on program start if an alternate wordfile path was not selected.
- When changing product, the wordfile listing was not changing with it.
- Links on About Box to Support Topic and Support Email, as well as a check for updates button in the About box.
- Help buttons on each tab of the program to assist in finding relevant help more quickly.
A.32 22.214.171.1247 April 28, 2012
- New Features:
- Added Hue, Saturation, and Lumin adjustments to right click color menus.
- Added Hue, Saturation, and Lumin adjustments to the Custom Palette.
- Enabled Update Checking and Auto-updates.
- Bug Fixes:
importing a single theme from VS 2010, if a theme is already selected,
if you use Save instead of save as, it will overwrite the previously
selected theme, as it imports INTO that theme.
- When updating the PortableApps version of the program, the program will wipe out previous user settings/preferences.
A.31 126.96.36.1996 April 25, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
PortableApps version, the PortableApps.com Launcher program prevented
UE Companion from accessing the registry to identify UEStudio or
UltraEdit installed on a machine. This has been corrected by writing a
new launcher program from scratch.
- Using UE defined wordfile location was not working in portable mode. Fixed.
- Program was not opening to the last path used if the option to reopen the last file was not selected.
- If the last file used does not exist, it now handles it gracefully.
- Path did not update for theme panel if a theme was opened from Windows Explorer while the program was already running.
selecting "Import/Export -> Import VS 2010 Theme", if the path
previously used did not exist, it threw an error and would not allow to
A.30 188.8.131.525 April 21, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
- Could not browse to select the Alternate Wordfile Location. This has been fixed.
A.29 184.108.40.2061 April 20, 2012
- Bug Fixes:
- Fixed an issue where certain controls were not being painted properly in certain windows themes.
- Fixed the problem where Last Opened File, although opened, was not showing as selected in the Theme Panel.
- New Features:
Right Click functionality to color boxes in Syntax Coloring and Color
Scheme tabs. The color boxes now allow "copy", "paste", "invert color",
and "blend current color with color on clipboard."
- Added HTML Help for the program.
A.28 220.127.116.113 April 16, 2012
Fix Release: Several Key fixes. Issues included not properly saving
themes when a user was not using the latest version of UE/UES, and not
saving themes properly for ANY version of UE Portable.
- Fixed issue where UE Portable was "reset" to default colors for the color scheme instead of applying the color scheme.
additional issue on auto-dectecting UE Portable. Should now work in
more situations and configurations. UE Portable is not detected if it
resides on a different drive from UE Companion, so using the
PortableApps version is highly recommended for pairing with UEP.
A.27 18.104.22.1687 April 12, 2012
new feature to allow a user to specify a path different from the one in
UltraEdit's INI file in case you have a "working path" for creating and
- Added new feature to import themes from
a Visual Studio 2010 theme file. You can import one at a time, which
will load the theme for you to review in the color management section
of the program before saving. Or, alternatively, you can do a batch
conversion of all *.vssettings files in a single directory, all saved
to disk in the *.ueTheme format.
- Added new feature for right clicking on color squares to edit/copy/paste.
up static colors for default, no longer going by UltraEdit default
colors. UltraEdit default colors were being properly applied to
- A few minor enhancements and bug fixes.
A.26 22.214.171.1244 April 12, 2012
- Fixed an issue with the program not showing a theme as modified if you changed the theme name, author, or description.
- Fixed an issue where setting Plain Text background on the color scheme tab, color groups 16 - 20 were not updated.
- Fixed MRU list to behave more in line with conventional MRU.
- Added a new Theme List panel to allow easier selection and quicker previews of themes.
A.25 126.96.36.1994 April 9, 2012
format released. Build 1414 is a special build to add PortableApps.com
compatibility to the program. It will automatically detect when being
run from the PortableApps.com platform and behave accordingly.
- File Association buttons are now disabled when running in portable mode for obvious reasons.
The Zip version of the program has been replaced by the PortableApps.com format.
A.24 188.8.131.520 April 9, 2012
portability to the program. It will now pair with UEPortable if you
make it portable and follow the instructions on the
Configuration->Pairing with UE/UES tab. It will automatically detect
and adapt when the the drive it resides on changes drive letters.
the ability to automatically detect different UE installations on
different computers. Moving from computer to computer in portable mode
should not reflect the installations of UE or UES on that particular
computer, and, if UEP is on the portable drive with UltraEdit
Companion, and the instructions were followed to place it properly,
then it should detect that as well.
- The program will now
detect if the version of UE/UES/UEP you are trying to make changes to
is running before it attempts to make those changes. It gives you an
opportunity to close it before conintuing, or it will cancel making
- Several bug fixes made to the program.
A.23 184.108.40.2067 April 9, 2012
- Fixed an issue with Save and Save As where it was not recognizing the file has not been changed since last save.
A.22 220.127.116.114 April 9, 2012
an issue where locating UltraEdit's INI file through the environment
variable UEINIDIR was failing. Fixed same for UEStudio.
- Fixed screen position when starting UE Companion so that it is not always in upper left.
issue where Background Auto in "Normal Text", "Comments", "Alt Block
Comm", "Strings", and "Numbers" was not being loaded correctly from
wordfiles or themes. Now correctly loads from wordfiles and the new
style themes. As old format of themes are no longer supported, the fix
will not be implemented for that theme format.
- Fixed an
issue where UE Companion would not recognize upgrades or new
installations of UltraEdit and/or UEStudio. For example, if you had UE,
and installed UES, it would not recognize UES had been installed. If
you upgraded from UE version 15 to version 18, it would not recognize
the upgrade. It now recognizes upgrades, new installations, and will
automatically remove uninstalled programs as well.
A.21 18.104.22.1688 April 7, 2012
a bug causing any syntax files imported to remain locked until program
closed. This was what was causing the persistent file locks that
prevented it from writing to wordfiles on certain user systems.
compatibility with Windows Vista, Windows 7 with UAC enabled. It is no
longer required to use Compatibility Mode or Administrator Mode.
A.20 22.214.171.1243 April 6, 2012
the format of the theme files to add the capability of UE written
scripts to import the themes and to make it easier for IDM to support
in the future. Newly saved themes will no longer be compatible with
older versions of this program, but this program will still read the
old themes without issue.
A.19 126.96.36.1999 April 2, 2012
- Changed to an alternate way to write changes to wordfiles to prevent access errors on some Windows 7 systems.
multi-tasking capability during writes to wordfiles to prevent users
from sending multiple writes to the same wordfile simultaneously. This
was causing wordfile corruption when someone would send one theme to
the wordfile list, and immediately select a second theme to export.
- Fixed "Revert to Saved" functionality.
- "Save" on File Menu was performing "Save As" functionality. Fixed.
A.18 188.8.131.523 March 30, 2012
additional testing to make sure wordfiles are writable before
attempting to update wordfiles. A scenario came up where it looked like
a wordfile was locked and UE Companion was unable to write to it.
A.17 184.108.40.2061 March 28, 2012
1162: Added the ability to add an "Alternate" INI file, in case you use
one from the command line. Can also be used to locate the INI for
UEPortable until support is provided for that product separately.
(Coming soon, full UEPortable support.)
- Build 1181: Correct
"Default" colors are now used for the UltraEdit based colors according
to the Windows Theme you are using in the same way that UltraEdit
handles the colors.
- Build 1190: Added "Revert to Saved" to
easily go back to the saved theme after changes have been made if the
theme has not yet been saved.
- Build 1191: Wording more
clearly defined. Scheme means UE scheme, which is display only. Syntax
Highlighting for language colors. Theme means all of it.
1206: Added the ability to set up an "Alternate" UltraEdit or UEStudio
INI file. You must manually locate that INI file. This can be for an
INI file that you pass as a command line parameter. When you select an
Alternate, it will add either UEStudio Alt or UltraEdit Alt to the drop
down product listing, so that you can switch between the alternate and
regular INI files for this installation.
- Build 1231: Added
a "Recent Files" list on the File Menu. Can be turned on and off in the
configuration tab, and the number of recent files to show can be
changed from 1 to 8. Option to clear history on exit, and option also
added to "Clear History Now." Option also added to re-open the last
file opened for editing when starting the program, unless you are
passing a file to the program.
- Build 1241: Fixed a bug that
caused wordfiles not to update with current syntax highlighting, should
a previous wordfile parsing fail.
A.16 220.127.116.115 March 23, 2012
the ability to drag-and-drop theme files onto the program. Also, the
program is now able to update with a theme file when double clicking a
file from Windows Explorer, provided that you have provided a file
association. Passing a .ueTheme file to the program from the command
line will also open the .ueTheme file.
- Added the ability to
add .ueTheme files as a file association from within the configuration
tab. File associations may also be removed here. You should remove file
associations before uninstalling.
A.15 18.104.22.1682 March 23, 2012
Please manually uninstall any previous version, and the product setup method has changed.
- Numerous bug fixes. It is recommended to upgrade at once due to some issues in previous versions.
- Program file has been renamed. Please uninstall any old version of the program, as this is now considered a separate product.
- Now compatible with colors and options for UltraEdit 18 and UEStudio 12.
- Will now auto-detect your installation of UltraEdit or UEStudio.
indicator has been changed from showing the word "Modified" in the
status bar to the background of the theme name in the status bar
turning from green to red.
- Complete rework of the custom
color palette dialog. It will now save the colors you have selected and
they will show the next session. Assigning colors to the palette will
no longer erase those colors when closing the program. New right click
functionality on colors in the custom palette for greater ease in
customizing the custom colors. Single click will no longer make that
custom color the "selected color", as this now requires a double-click.
- New setup program, to be expanded further in the next program.
updates have been disabled in this version while the update system is
revamped to allow for smoother update process. Check back here for
updates regularly, as features will be added on a regular basis over
the next few months.
A.14 22.214.171.1244 February 24, 2011
- Although it was announced that UltraEdit 17 would support 15 color groups
for wordfiles, it turned out to support 20. Additional coding added to
support 20 color groups.
- The directory that UltraEdit looks for wordfiles can now be changed from
within this utility. It will give you the option of copying/moving your
existing wordfiles to the new location.
- A couple of minor typos have been corrected having to do with incorrect
capitalization of a displayed word.
A.13 126.96.36.1990 February 19, 2011
- Complete redesign of the layout to allow for more expansion of features.
- Wordfile tools are now easier to work with, and will give you the language
name instead of a file dialog to locate a file name.
- You can now select
multiple languages for working with and not have to worry about a file dialog
for the languages any longer.
- Complete rework of the custom color palette dialog. It will now save the colors
you have selected and they will show the next session. Assigning colors to the palette
will no longer erase those colors when closing the program.
A.12 188.8.131.521 February 17, 2011
Updated for compatibility with UltraEdit 17's
added color capabilities! There are now 15 color groups instead of 8 for
word files, and "Highlight All" and "Select All" colors have also been added.
Also with this version it will be able to check to see if an update is
available, download and install it. Added "Theme Author" and "Theme Description"
fields to the themes for future sharing on a special theme site that I plan
to put up in the coming months. A "Modified" indicator is now on the new
status bar, along with the theme's name and other information.
A.11 184.108.40.2060 December 21, 2010
Updated for compatibility with UltraEdit 16.30 /
UEStudio 10.30. Added the Brace Highlight Background color.
- Upgraded for full compatibility with UltraEdit 16.10 and UEStudio
10.10 Fold Lines as well as the new Foreground and Background color ability
for brace highlighting.
- Now utilizing AppData/Application Data directory for storage of configuration
options for better compatibility with Vista and Windows 7. Can still
optionally use the program directory in case you want to make the program
portable for use with UEPortable.
A.9 220.127.116.116 May 19, 2010
Bug Fix Release. On first run, did not properly react to no config
file being present. This has been fixed.
A.8 18.104.22.1684 May 17, 2010
New Feature added, Theme Fonts! You can now save Font Names and
size for both Standard Editing and Column Mode/HEX Editing. You can also now
preview these fonts as well. Font selection for Standard and Column Mode is
now available if you wish to change what UE is currently using. It now loads
showing the syntax lettering using the font you have selected from within UE.
Several minor bug fixes also made.
A.7 22.214.171.1241 May 11, 2010
Upgraded Feature for Compatibility with UltraEdit 16.10's new
feature, Line Indent coloring.
A.6 126.96.36.1993 May 5, 2010
Minor Bug fix. Fixed minor bugs in the custom palette dialog.
Corrected the RGB calculation on the custom palette dialog.
A.5 188.8.131.522 May 4, 2010
Minor Bug fix. A problem with calling up the Windows Color Dialog
from within the Custom Palette has been fixed. The program will now remember
whether you were using Custom Palette or Windows Color Dialog last.
A.4 184.108.40.2061 May 2, 2010
New Feature added. A secondary method of selecting colors has been added.
You may now choose between using Windows Color Selector or a new Custom Palette
Dialog that allows you to predefine up to 36 colors. Colors can also now be
added by direct Hexadecimal entry, RGB entry, Decimal entry, or selected from a
list of 140 named colors. A minor oversight is also fixed whereby the program
did not confirm to saved a modified theme on program exit.
A.3 220.127.116.112 April 30, 2010
Bug Fix release. A problem with exporting Syntax Highlighting to
wordfiles was not clearing the previous syntax highlighting before adding new.
Also, when turning off Background Auto on a single Syntax Coloring Group, it
turned off Background Auto on all groups. Now including a sample of themes with
A.2 18.104.22.1681 April 29, 2010
Feature Change. Now saves themes in INI file format instead of proprietary binary.
A.1 1.0.0.0000 April 28, 2010
- Initial Release to the public.